Friday, July 20, 2012

I'm a Survivor

I made it through the 5 week Teach for America Institute!  It was madness.  I was cramming with one of my students until one minute before grades were due, but the final result was wonderful.  100% of my students passed the class.  After a mid-semester assessment that every student failed I was seriously concerned, but we did it!  And I think they actually kind of liked me.  Bonus!  It just about brought tears to my eyes when one of the really quiet students came up to me on the last day and gave me the tightest hug and said, "thank you so much for helping me."  The first time he took algebra II he didn't pass.  This time he got an A.  The week after institute I had orientation where we learned about unit plans and had more specific training that focused on our content area, like mathematics.  Next Thursday I start my district training and I can't wait for that.  Each step I am getting more focused on my content area, my school, and my students and it is all so exciting.  I also can't wait for some free time to explore the new place I live!


Love my collab - Katie, Javier, and Allie (and me)

No comments: